Practical Things Needed For a Clean House

There are some seasons of our life that can be so clean, so organized, so scheduled...and then there are seasons that AREN'T! Whatever takes us in and out of those seasons could be related to family or business projects, relational issues, added blessings (in the form of children), a new homeschooling year, etc.

Toy Shelf Organizer

So what are some practical things that have helped me? Here they are:

Toy Shelf Organizer

1) Do Away with Clutter- The boys room was always messy. No matter how many times I went in there to clean, the very next day, it was messy again. Considering I have four boys in one room, I thought it was normal. But when a good friend visited me (sent by God), she helped me realize they didn't need all those little things. So, I actually took the book shelf I REALLY thought they needed (or hoped they needed), but kept getting full of other things. I took out a toy organizer full of Legos and other such small toys, hoping they would still play with them (although they haven't played with them in years). I realized the room was made for resting and not for the many, many projects they chose to embark in their room, that after they got bored would leave remnants of pieces everywhere. SO a very determined mom had to do away with those things I thought they needed. I became real about the season of life we are in now.

2) Have a Place for Each Thing-This is a simple problem fixer. If everything has a place, then it will not be laying around. At one point I did not like having dirty laundry baskets in every room because I wanted everyone to take their clothes to the laundry room. This was helpful in helping me stay in touch and in top of laundry. But this year, I needed a new plan. I kept finding dirty clothes on the floor, so a small basket in each room had to be implemented...hence a place for the clothes on the floor.

3)Constant Follow Up- To maintain the looks of an organized and kept home, it is helpful to take 5 minutes, several times a day and "look" in each major area for quick clean up moments. It is so helpful to look at a room with five things laying around and say "okay, each person please pick up one or two things and put them in their place."

4)Emotional Health Better than Physical Health- I never thought I would say this, but I have to admit I made my life pretty hard over the last few years because I wanted to be "Green." I wouldn't buy Clorox Wipes or the Swifter Mop or paper towels or paper plates or other very convenient things. At this stage in my life, with a business and six children, all the above mentioned things are wonderful inventions of the human mind, given by God as a gift to desperate moms. THANK YOU LORD!

5)Present Parent-The reality of a clean home, no matter what the age of your children, is being emotionally there for them. When I have had work projects and have been physically here, but not emotionally here, my house was always messy. I cannot expect my older children to be parents (the way only I can be) to my younger children. Mommy is needed to lovingly pick up the messes made by the young toddlers, or the crawlers. The truth is Mom enjoys those messes and can give God thanks for them, while they last. Everyone can enjoy a happy, cleaner and more organized home with a parent not only physically, but emotionally there as well.

Practical Things Needed For a Clean House
Toy Shelf Organizer

Simmons Rifle Scopes